Monday, June 12, 2006

A Mother's Portion

When I was growing up, my mother was a single mom with two children at home trying so hard to make ends meet.

I would notice over and over that she would work so hard to prepare us a good hot meal. When it was time to eat, Mother was never hungry and therefore, only got a spoonful if she got anything at all. I never ever gave it a second thought.

Back in January, I fell down my steps doing laundry and broke my arm in eight different places and my collarbone in two.

The very next week my husband was laid off his job. My husband is over fifty so you can all understand how hard it has been for him to find employment. We have been living off the small amount of money my job brings in and boy oh boy things get hard.

Recently I have been serving hot meals and getting a real small portion or saying I just am not hungry and allowing my family to get their meal and fill. I now call this, "A Mother's Portion."

Thinking back in life I can tell that my mother took only A Mother's Portion on a lot of things. How I wish now that I could tell her how much she is appreciated and maybe give her A Daughter's Portion back.

No comments: